Treatment of Foot and Ankle
Debridement is the process to remove dead skin and tissue. Your doctor or nurse will need to do this to be able to see your foot ulcer. There are many ways to do this. One way is to use a scalpel and special scissors.
- The skin surrounding the wound is cleaned and disinfected.
- The wound is probed with a metal instrument to see how deep it is and to see if there is any foreign material or object in the ulcer.
- The doctor cuts away the dead tissue, then washes out the ulcer.
- Your sore may seem bigger and deeper after the doctor or nurse debrides it. The ulcer should be red or pink in color and look like fresh meat.
Other ways to remove dead or infected tissue are to:
- Put your foot in a whirlpool bath.
- Use a syringe and catheter (tube) to wash away dead tissue.
- Apply wet to dry dressings to the area to pull off dead tissue.
- Put special chemicals, called enzymes, on your ulcer. These dissolve dead tissue from the wound.
- Put special maggots on the ulcer. The maggots eat only the dead skin and produce chemicals that help the ulcer heal.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Treatment of Foot and Ankle.
Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Foot & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Foot and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston.