Is It for You?
Bunion Surgery: The Options
A bunion, the bump next to your big toe that throbs when you wear tight shoes, occurs because of abnormal overgrowth of tissue and bone. Different types of surgery can correct a bunion. The surgeon can:
- Remove parts of the damaged joint or big toe bone.
- Stretch the tendons surrounding the big toe.
- Repair the poorly aligned big toe joint.
Bunion Surgery: Is It for You?
Usually, bunion surgery is an elective procedure, and is only performed when you’ve tried everything else, says Ford.
Most people — as many as 90 percent — who have bunion surgery are glad that they did. You might be ready to consider bunion surgery if you:
- Cannot walk or perform other necessary daily activities.
- Cannot wear shoes, even comfortable ones, without pain.
- Cannot bend or straighten out your big toe.
- Have constant swelling in your big toe.
- Experience no improvement in your symptoms after taking prescription strength nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve).
- Notice that your big toe has started to slant toward your other toes.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Keywords: Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Food & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Food and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston