Self Care Tips
You can decrease swelling by:
- Resting and not putting weight on your foot
- Elevating your foot on a pillow at or above the level of your heart
Apply ice every hour while you are awake, 20 minutes at a time and covered by a towel or bag, for the first 24 hours after the injury. After the first 24 hours, apply ice 20 minutes 3 - 4 times per day. Do not apply ice directly to your skin. You should wait at least 30 minutes in between ice applications.
Pain medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, may help to ease pain and swelling. You can buy these medications without a prescription.
- Do not use these drugs for the first 24 hours after your injury. They may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Talk with your healthcare provider before using these medicines if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease, or have had stomach ulcers or internal bleeding in the past.
- Do not take more than the amount recommended on the bottle or more than your health care provider advises you to take. Carefully read the warnings on the label before taking any medication.
During the first 24 hours after your injury you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol and others) if your healthcare provider tells you it is safe to do so. People with liver disease should not take this medication.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Dr. Orlando Rivera
Keywords: Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Food & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Food and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston