Affect the Skin Between the Toes
The cleft between the fourth and fifth toes is the most frequently affected, with moist soft skin that peels off easily. Often the skin splits uncomfortably (a fissure). It may smell unpleasant. It is generally mild; very inflamed athlete's foot is generally due to secondary bacterial infection.
Athlete's foot can be due to one factor or a combination of factors.
- Bacterial infection (erythrasma, pseudomonas, Staphylococci and Streptococci).
- Mould infection.
- Soft corn (build-up of thick skin because the toes are pressing against each other).
- Injury e.g. over-vigorous removal of peeling skin.
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema or keratolysis exfoliativa.
- Fungal infection (tinea pedis).
Athlete's foot is more common in those who participate in sports because:
- They may wear occlusive footwear.
- They sweat heavily.
- They may fail to dry their feet carefully after showering.
- They are exposed to fungal spores on the surfaces of communal areas.
Treatment for athlete's foot should begin with general measures.
- Dry carefully between the toes.
- Keep toes apart using a cotton or foam wedge.
- Wear shoes that are loose around the toes or go bare foot.
- Apply a topical antifungal agent. These may also control many of the bacteria responsible for athlete's foot.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Food and Ankle Surgeon Houston
Keywords: Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Food & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Food and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston