Take Care of Your Feet
Whether the sources are congenital problems, foot abuse, high heels, poorly fitting shoes, or other maltreatment of the feet, women are subject to a number of afflictions involving the feet (most of which can also occur to men):
- Achilles tendinitis.- inflammation of the Achilles tendon, the link between the calf muscle and heel bone. Those who wear high heels regularly can expect to acquire shortened tendons; switching to low heels for strenuous physical activity without appropriate warm-up exercises creates an ideal scenario for Achilles tendinitis.
- Bunions.- misaligned big toe joints which become swollen and tender. Bunions tend to be familial, but the tendency can be aggravated by shoes that are too narrow in the forefoot and toe.
- Hammertoe.- a condition in which the toe is contracted in a claw-like position. Although the condition usually stems from muscle imbalance, it is often aggravated by ill-fitting shoes, socks, or hosiery that cramp the toes.
- Metatarsalgia.- general pain in the ball of the foot; often caused by wearing high heels.
- Neuromas.- enlarged, benign growths of nerves, most commonly between the third and fourth toes. They may stem, in part, from ill-fitting shoes, resulting in pain, burning, tingling or numbness between the toes and in the ball of the foot. Treatment includes orthotic devices and/or steroid injections, and sometimes surgery.
- Plantar fasciitis.- inflammation of the long band of connective tissue running from the heel to the ball of the foot, a main cause of rear-foot pain. This condition is sometimes caused by shoes that cramp the feet, especially in the arch area.
- Pump bump (Haglund's deformity).- a bone enlargement at the back of the heel bone, in the area where the Achilles tendon attaches to the bone. The deformity generally is the result of faulty biomechanics causing increased motion of the heel bone against the shoe counter.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Foot Pain Houston
Keywords: Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Food & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Food and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston