Bunions refer to a prominence of bone on the inside margin of the forefoot.
It involves a displacement of the 1st metatarsal bone towards the midline of the body, coupled with a displacement of the great toe away from the bodyline of the body. There are different stages of the deformity depending on the level of severity. Arthritis can also develop producing pain within the joint.
- Women are more prone to bunions than men.
- Wearing tight, narrow or high-heeled shoes can greatly accelerate the formation of a bunion.
- Middle aged to older people are more likely to suffer from bunions, although bunions can also affect children and young people.
- Inflammation, pain around the big toe.
- Redness, discomfort when wearing shoes.
- Calluses and / or corns on the outside of the big toe, between the big toe and the second toe or under the ball of the foot.
- Over-lapping toes.
- Poor foot function (biomechanics).
- Family history of bunions.
- Poor or tight footwear.
- Arthritic conditions.
- Trauma or previous surgery around the big toe.
- Treatment varies depending on the severity of pain and deformity. Treatment may include:
- Padding to protect the bony prominence from shoe irritation.
- Wearing correctly fitting footwear.
- Callus and corn management through conservative podiatric treatment.
- Medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs or cortisone injections to ease pain and inflammation.
- Correction of poor foot biomechanics through orthotics (custom-made shoe inserts). These re-align to foot and assist in stabilising the joint. This treatment can be very effective in halting or slowing bunion development.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Foot & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Foot and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston