Information and Resources
- The human foot has 26 bones.
- Divide the foot into 3 parts: the hindfoot, the midfoot, and the forefoot.
- There are 2 bones in the hindfoot. These are the talus, which is where the foot attaches to the leg, and the calcaneus, which forms the heel.
- Five smaller bones called the navicular, cuboid, and 3 cuneiforms make up the midfoot.
- The long part of the foot is called the forefoot and contains 19 bones. There is a metatarsal for each of the 5 toes, the big toe is made up of 2 phalanges, and the other toes each have 3 phalanges.
- In addition, the foot sometimes has some small pebble-like bones called sesamoid bones. These bones do not perform any necessary function and are often called accessory bones.
Broken Foot Symptoms
Broken bones in the foot cause pain and swelling.
- Usually (but not always) the pain is so bad, that you are not able to walk. Broken bones in the toes cause less pain, and you may be able to walk with a broken toe.
- Bruising of the foot with a broken bone is also common.
- Sprains can also cause bad pain, swelling, and bruising, so it is usually not possible to tell if a foot is broken or sprained just by looking at it.
- Here's what to do when examining an injured foot for a possible broken bone.
- Take the shoe and sock off the good foot as well. Compare both feet side-by-side to figure out how much swelling is present in the injured foot.
- Look for any large cuts or wounds. Large cuts or wounds that expose a broken bone are more serious.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Houston Foot and Ankle Surgery
Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Foot and Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot and ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Foot and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston,Best Foot And Ankle Clinics.