12 Easy Tips
1. Take care of your diabetes.
- Work with your healthcare team to keep your blood sugar within a good range
2. Check your feet every day.
- Look at your bare feet every day for cuts, blisters, red spots, and swelling.
- Use a mirror to check the bottoms of your feet or ask a family member for help if you have trouble seeing.
3. Wash your feet every day.
- Wash your feet in warm, not hot, water every day.
- Dry your feet well. Be sure to dry between the toes
4. Keep the skin soft and smooth.
- Rub a thin coat of skin lotion over the tops and bottoms of your feet, but not between your toes.
5. Smooth corns and calluses gently.
- Use a pumice stone to smooth corns and calluses.
6. Trim your toenails each week or when needed.
- Trim your toenails straight across and file the edges with an emery board or nail file.
7. Wear shoes and socks at all times.
- Never walk barefoot.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit well and protect your feet.
- Feel inside your shoes before putting them on each time to make sure the lining is smooth and there are no objects inside.
8. Protect your feet from hot and cold.
- Wear shoes at the beach or on hot pavement.
- Wear socks at night if your feet get cold.
9. Keep the blood flowing to your feet.
- Put your feet up when sitting.
- Wiggle your toes and move your ankles up and down for 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day.
- Don't cross your legs for long periods of time.
- Don't smoke.
10. Be more active.
- Plan your physical activity program with your doctor.
11. Check with your doctor.
- Have your doctor check your bare feet and find out whether you are likely to have serious foot problems. Remember that you may not feel the pain of an injury.
- Call your doctor right away if a cut, sore, blister, or bruise on your foot does not begin to heal after one day.
- Follow your doctor's advice about foot care.
12. Get started now.
- Begin taking good care of your feet today.
- Set a time every day to check your feet.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Foot and ankle specialist
Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Foot and Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot and ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Foot and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston, Best Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialist in Houston,Foot and Ankle in Houston, Advanced Foot and Ankle Specialist in Houston, Foot and Ankle Podiatry in Houston, Foot and Ankle Surgical in Houston, Treatment of Foot and Ankle in Houston, Foot and ankle specialists in Houston, Podiatrist in Houston, Foot Doctor in Houston, Foot and Ankle Surgeon in Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist in Houston, Foot Pain in Houston, Foot and Ankle Surgery in Houston, Foot And Ankle Clinics in Houston