Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist
Use RICE to remember treatment steps.
R = Rest. I = Ice. C = Compression. E = Elevation.
1. - Rest the leg. - The patient should stop the activity that caused the injury. Help her to sit down and rest the ankle. Support it in a raised position.
2. - Cool with ice. - Cool the ankle to reduce pain and swelling. Ideally wrap a bag of ice or frozen peas in a cloth and place it on the ankle. Do not put ice straight onto the skin, as it will cause a cold burn. Leave the ice in place for about 20 minutes.
3. - Apply pressure. - Leave the compress in place if it is small or wrap a layer of soft padding, such as a roll of cotton wool, around the ankle. Apply pressure with a compression support or compression bandage to help limit swelling. This should extend from the toes to the knee.
4. - Elevate the ankle. - Raise and support the ankle so that it is higher than the hip to prevent swelling. Advise the patient to rest the ankle. If you suspect serious injury, take the patient to the hospital.
5. - Check circulation. - Make sure that the bandage is not too tight. Press on a toenail until it turns white, then let go. The color should return quickly. If it does not return, the bandage is too tight; remove it and reapply. Recheck every 10 minutes.
6. - Reapply the cold compress over the bandage every two to three hours. - Remove the bandage at night and do not sleep with an ice pack on the injury.
RIVERA FOOT & ANKLE: At Orlando H.Rivera DPM, our priority is to deliver quality care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting. When you have problems with your feet, you need to turn to a podiatrist who listens and responds… an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your needs… a friendly physician who counsels you on the best ways to maintain and improve your health. Our physician(s) meet all these criteria. Plus, you benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who give you the individualized attention you deserve.
Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist.
Foot and Ankle, Dr. Orlando Rivera, Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialist, Foot and Ankle Podiatry, Houston Foot & Ankle Surgical, Treatment of Foot and Ankle, Foot & ankle specialists, Podiatrist in houston, podiatrist in houston, Orlando H.Rivera DPM, Houston Foot Doctor, Foot and Ankle Surgeon Houston, Ankle and Foot Specialist Houston, Podiatrist Houston, Foot Pain Houston.